Friday, April 28, 2006

CORTEZ THE KILLER


Not to be outdone by the Kid, I give you another post in honor of Neil Young's "Impeach The President", but with a "Channeling" twist. Here are the lyrics to "Cortez the Killer" which was banned in Spain by the Generalissimo hisself - fascists hate the truth....

"Cortez The Killer"
He came dancing across the water
With his galleons and guns
Looking for the new world
In that palace in the sun.
On the shore lay Montezuma
With his coca leaves and pearls
In his halls he often wondered
With the secrets of the worlds.
And his subjects
gathered 'round him
Like the leaves around a tree
In their clothes of many colors
For the angry gods to see.
And the women all were beautiful
And the men stood
straight and strong
They offered life in sacrifice
So that others could go on.
Hate was just a legend
And war was never known
The people worked together
And they lifted many stones.
They carried them
to the flatlands
And they died along the way
But they built up
with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.
And I know she's living there
And she loves me to this day
I still can't remember when
Or how I lost my way.
He came dancing across the water
Cortez, Cortez
What a killer.

5 Comments:

Blogger KidKawartha said...

Ok, ok, you win. ;)

9:06 PM  
Blogger durrati said...

Just joining hands, not trying to one up :)...

9:26 PM  
Blogger Joe Don Martin said...

I know Bob Dylan is supposed to be the poet laureate of American music but, to me, Neil's got him in spades. Dylan's lyrics are too obscure, too dense, too quasi-cerebral- not to mention too nasally intoned. Neil has no fear- as evidenced by his "Trans" experiment, his bout with the Shocking Pinks, his misguided support for Reagan. His endowment of and support for The Bridge School is Herculean and personal. I actually got to go to the Bridge benefit in No. California a couple years back- where the main attraction for me was a rare live show from Tom Waits- with my Silicon Valley cousin. I'd probably rate Tom as our greatest living songwriter but Neil gets the nod for "Most Important" simply for his political bravery.
Oh and here'sa picture for you.

10:01 PM  
Blogger durrati said...

Joe I love ya, and Niel and Mr. Drunk on the moon but disagree about Dylan....case in point:

Let Me Die In My Footsteps

I will not go down under the ground
"Cause somebody tells me that death's comin' 'round
An' I will not carry myself down to die
When I go to my grave my head will be high,
Let me die in my footsteps
Before I go down under the ground.

There's been rumors of war and wars that have been
The meaning of the life has been lost in the wind
And some people thinkin' that the end is close by
"Stead of learnin' to live they are learning to die.
Let me die in my footsteps
Before I go down under the ground.

I don't know if I'm smart but I think I can see
When someone is pullin' the wool over me
And if this war comes and death's all around
Let me die on this land 'fore I die underground.
Let me die in my footsteps
Before I go down under the ground.

There's always been people that have to cause fear
They've been talking of the war now for many long years
I have read all their statements and I've not said a word
But now Lawd God, let my poor voice be heard.
Let me die in my footsteps
Before I go down under the ground.

If I had rubies and riches and crowns
I'd buy the whole world and change things around
I'd throw all the guns and the tanks in the sea
For they are mistakes of a past history.
Let me die in my footsteps
Before I go down under the ground.

Let me drink from the waters where the mountain streams flood
Let me smell of wildflowers flow free through my blood
Let me sleep in your meadows with the green grassy leaves
Let me walk down the highway with my brother in peace.
Let me die in my footsteps
Before I go down under the ground.

Go out in your country where the land meets the sun
See the craters and the canyons where the waterfalls run
Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Idaho
Let every state in this union seep in your souls.
And you'll die in your footsteps
Before you go down under the ground.

10:16 PM  
Blogger durrati said...

And Joe,

P.S. Thanks for the pic....

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home