Friday, March 17, 2006

JUAN OF THE BLACK AND RED


I hope you all will forgive me a small vanity, a repost of one of my first, a short poem by yours truly that, I hope, captures the spirit of The Barcelona Orwell was so suprised to find.

JUAN OF THE BLACK AND RED



I am Juan, fisher's son,
Barceloneta I now run,
By day I boat just where I might,
Then chase fascists through the night,
I have no use for government,
I have friends who pour cement.
The priests have no use for me,
I carry rope that they might see,
Priests should not make a fuss,
But leave the governing to us,
I have more of God in my buttered toast,
Than priests have in a thousand hosts!
The leech who once took the let,
Now calls me comrade,
when we've met.
I address him almost civilly,
Tap the carbine at my knee,
Funny he mentions not the lease!
I give fish to his pretty niece.
You shits who used to run this place,
Remember well this ugly face,
This man whom you would like to tame,
Will die before you rise again!
Black are my eyes,
my blood red on cement,
I have no use for government.

-Durrati

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jackie_O said...

Durrati,
I like this, and I'm very picky about poetry. I am one of those rhyme scheme/meter structure bores, who believe in poetry as an art and a craft. If you read the verse posted by MJS at JG, he really is excellent in this.
I do like this poem very much, for what my opinion is worth.

10:46 AM  
Blogger durrati said...

Thanks Jac, you opinion is very valued here...

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home